FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The Bixby Public Schools Board of Education is taking applications to appoint a person to Seat Number 2 of the Board of Education.
The Bixby Public Schools Board of Education Seat Number 2 held by Mr. Wendell Nolan is now vacant. Policy requires that Board of Education members reside in the zone (also called “Election District”) in which he represents. Mr. Nolan recently moved out of Zone 2 into another area in Bixby Public Schools. As a result, the Board of Education declared Seat 2 vacant at the July 18, 2016 regular Board of Education meeting. The current term for Seat 2 expires in 2017. Those interested in seeking election to the next, full term of Seat 2, including the person appointed to the position to fulfill the current term, will file for election in December 2016. The election is in February 2017, if more than one person files for the seat.
The Board of Education is now taking applications for the position. Those wishing to make application for the seat must meet the following criteria:
- Must reside in Board Zone 2 (Election District 2). A description and map of Board Zone 2 is located here:
BPS_BOE_Zones Map & Legal_Description of Zones
- Complete an application for the position. Available at the following link: Application for Seat 2 or from Ms. Terry Sorrels at the BPS Administrative Center at 109 N. Armstrong, Bixby, OK 74008.
- Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 3, 2016. Applications may be submitted in person to Ms. Terry Sorrels at the BPS Administrative Center at 109 N. Armstrong, Bixby, OK 74008 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Must have resided within the boundaries and been a registered voter in Zone 2 for 6 months prior to July 18, 2016.
- Cannot have been convicted of, or have pled guilty or no contest to, a felony under state or federal law or a misdemeanor involving embezzlement. Any person having a record of any of these crimes is ineligible to file for the school board position pending appeal or for a period of 15 years following completion of the sentence.
- Must hold a high school diploma or certificate of high school equivalency.
- Must not be a current employee of Bixby Public Schools.
- Must not be related within the second degree by blood or marriage to a current school district employee or current member of the Bixby Public Schools Board of Education.
In addition, the Board of Education may interview one or more applicant(s) for the position at the August 8, 2016 regular Board of Education meeting. Further information and/or questions may be directed to Mr. Ron Schnare, BPS BOE President, or Dr. Kyle Wood, BPS Superintendent at the following:
Mr. Ron Schnare: email@example.com
Dr. Kyle Wood: firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information on School Board Candidates and Election FAQ's, please click here.