Bixby Public Schools receives funding through the U.S. Dept of Education Office of Indian Education to operate a Title VI Indian Education Program for our Native American students enrolled in the district. Some services offered by this program to eligible students include:
- Tutoring in core curriculum classes for those qualified students from 1st-12th grades.
- Instructional computer programs in reading, math, and social studies at all grade levels.
- Presentations which target Native American perspective as it relates to social studies, history, and language arts areas.
- Consultation with school counselors, parents, teachers, and students as needed regarding grades, attendance, and other factors affecting these areas.
- Supplementary classroom and library videos and books of Native American history and/or culture.
- Check-out items such as graphing calculators, textbooks.
- Information concerning college funding.
- Supplementary novels for secondary English classes.
- Staff development for teachers to enhance their skills in teaching reading, math, and social studies.
Funding for this program is based solely on the number of Indian students whose parents have completed a federal Indian student eligibility certification form (506 form) that is kept on file in the Indian Education Program office. This form is also necessary in order for your child to be eligible for any of the program's services. Please take the time to fill this out so we can continue to provide as many opportunities for our Indian students as possible. The forms must have the name of the tribe, the child's name, parent's signature, and the date. If at all possible, please include your child, you, or a grandparent's CDIB or membership or enrollment number; I recommend that you provide that on the form. This may be helpful to your family in the future, and at some point in time Title VI Indian Education programs may require this documentation.
If you have any questions about the program, or need to discuss services your child may need, please call the Indian Education Office at 366-2353. We hope to assist in any way we can.
Indian Education Coordinator